Friday, June 24, 2016

CHURCH: The Glorious Mess pt 1

      “Glorious Mess and Productive Agitation”   (part 1 of 2)                                   

One of Forrest Gump’s famous lines is, “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get!” You open the lid of a chocolate assortment and even though they all look the same on the outside, you can’t tell what you’re going to get until you bite into one.  There are times when you choose one of those pieces of chocolate and bite into it and are completely surprised by what you discover inside. I think Gump’s view on that box of chocolate is that people are like those chocolates.

 We have no idea what is inside until something difficult comes along and takes a bite out them which exposes what’s on the insideoften times much to our surprise.  People are different; they have different stories, different backgrounds and come with different operating systems that can make getting along difficult. We are flawed, quirky, and fearfully and wonderfully wired.  

 Face it, people are messy.

I posted a picture of a stamp I found in an art store to FaceBook that read, “Family is like fudge. It’s mostly sweet, but has some nuts.” I got a lot of “Amens,” double “Amens” and many interesting comments from those who know my family. Life may be like a box of chocolates, but family is more like one of those fruit cakes grandma used to make with a bunch of nuts and unidentified fruit pieces held together in a concrete-like concoction. Family is a messy business not just because it includes human beings, but also because of the closeness of relationships lends itself to the potential for hurts and wounds. The deepest wounds we experience seem to be from the people who are closest to us.  

Church becomes a new Family, yet as you draw closer in relationship with one another in your church, the greater the potential is for pain in those relationships. Why would anyone in their right mind invite more pain and suffering than we already go through every day? Hellerman says, “As church-going Americans, we have been socialized to believe that our individual fulfillment and our personal relationship with God are more important than any connection we might have with our fellow human beings, whether in the home or in the church. We have, in a most subtle and insidious way, been conformed to this world."  He says, “The New Testament picture of the church as family flies in the face of our individualistic cultural orientation.”[1]

J.I. Packer writes, “God uses chronic pain and weakness, along with other afflictions, as his chisel for sculpting our lives. Felt weakness deepens dependence on Christ for strength each day. The weaker we feel, the harder we lean [on Jesus]. And the harder we lean, the stronger we grow spiritually, even while our bodies waste away. To live with your ‘thorn’ uncomplainingly—that is, sweet, patient, and free in heart to love and help others, even though every day you feel weak—is true sanctification. It is true healing for the spirit. It is a supreme victory of grace.”

As we conclude with discipleship, I would be remiss if I failed to mention that authentic community is part of the multifaceted process by which God does His sanctifying work in us. Often we are so concerned about protecting ourselves that we run from the very thing that God is using to shape us in the image of His Son.[2]  Part of the work God intends to do in us comes through the productive agitation of the commitment to relationships in community life.  God calls you as an individual and puts you into His sacred collective as rough rocks are put into a rock tumbler that will turn us into precious stones and beautiful gems. Christianity is a “together” enterprise. God never intended any one of us to go it alone.     

The lyric to a Paul Simon songs goes like this, I've built walls, a fortress deep and mighty that none may penetrate. I have no need of friendship, friendship causes pain.  It's laughter and it's loving I disdain I am a rock, I am an island.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me. I am shielded in my armor, hiding in my room, safe within my womb.  I touch no one and no one touches me. I am a rock, I am an island
And a rock can feel no pain And an island never cries.”[3]      
                       

The systemic problem in our modern Protestant Christianity is that we have created a church-going consumer that expects value and reward from membership. This people-pleasing, consumer-driven mentality goes against the high call of God that should be a life of faith worth dying for. This Western view of church membership is like our Western view on marriage; which is looked on as though we have entered into a pleasure contract. So it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone in this culture of brokenness that for many church-going people, their relationships with other church-goers is considered disposable, just as our spouses are in marriage. We say all kinds of words laced with sacred meaning at the altar for example, “In riches and poverty, in sickness and health until death do us part” …and yet, at the first significant difficulty many pull the parachute and bail out.

We are in a culture of disposable relationships, and this “me-first” attitude is part of our fickle “church-hopping” mindset. When things get hard or tough – or when people rub me the wrong way or when my issues get confronted and exposes something in me that I don’t want you to see, then it is more comfortable to run than stick it out.  Yet God desires that we work through the very thing that He intended to use in conforming me to the image of His Son. 

We were not created to stand alone as an island, apart from laughter, love, pain and tears. “An island never cries.”

[excerpt from my book Dead Reckoning: The Divine Invasion.  To be continued: in part 2 "Productive Agitation" 




[1] Joseph H. Hellerman, When the Church Was a Family: Recapturing Jesus’ Vision for Authentic Christian Community. B&H Academic, Nashville, Tennessee, 2009 p. 7
[2] Rom 8:28-30
[3] Paul Simon, I Am a Rock, from Bridge Over Troubled Waters, 1970.

Art by Marshall Dahlin 

No comments:

Post a Comment